Friday, June 15, 2007

America

I just lost Harvard. I mean, the one I had imagined since I first heard the word reverently mentioned in hushed tones that implied great wisdom and ivy-ness. In my head it was broad and green with the university ambling in the middle, a bit like Trinity College (I never said my imagination wasn't limited), and in some kind of wide open, sprawling space in the Massachussets countryside.

Today Mike brought me to see my imagined Harvard. Except it turns out that place doesn't exist. There were buildings and coffee shops and different colours and cityness. And it wasn't autumn, and the trees weren't rust-coloured with students swishing learnedly through piles of leaves. Poof! My Harvard is gone. Replaced with the real one. I'll tell you one thing, I'm NEVER going to San Francisco now.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I think the old adage should be extended to "never meet your heroes or visit idealised institutions of your youth"...

Queenshiv said...

Nooooooooooo - San Francisco will not disappoint sister mine! There are still flower children in the Haight and Golden Gate Park on Sunday afternoons... there are still the pastel painted ladies lining the streets in all their post-quake Victorian glory... there are still believers in peace, love and striving to be happy.

Conortje said...

That's shocking! Did it at least have ivy?

fiona said...

edvard: old adages and old institutions - they all let you down. sigh.

shiv: very well, I shall keep San Francisco, at least until we meet in person.

conortje: the ivy was in disappointingly short supply. and nobody wore capes.

thed4handbook said...

Oh no, now you've ruined MY fantasy of harvard. :(

fiona said...

Sorry about that miss southside - but in Harvard's defence, it was an awful lot to live up to.

Mike Sox said...

I'm so sorry I ruined your Harvard! I didn't know..""!

Are you sure you're not talking about Griffendore? or whatever that Harry Potter school is?

Hahvahd ain't all that! Come to Boston now!! The Red Sox are in the Playoffs and we will win the World Series!! Boston is a magically wonderful place. Full of young people and elves and lots of beer drinking happy people!