Tuesday, November 21, 2006

scandalavia

Right now what's foremost in my thoughts is the desire to be Scandinavian, if only for their appealing use of English. They speak it with a cavalier fluency that makes me swallow my tongue in envy, and then they go on to tinker with it just a little to make it speak a little clearer, to startle you from your first-language slumber and remind you of the pretty things it can do when it's coloured outside the lines. Look at these delightful Danes putting me to shame with their eloquent revolutionisms. And the Norwegian legion (See what I did there? Yeah, I know, that's what I mean) Hobbes and Lars. I want to be Scandinavian and fjordish, and write in syncopated beats. I want to think in that slivery way they do, with thoughts that seem to come from somewhere other than their own bodies. And to bear a name like Lars. Extremely.

2 comments:

hobbes said...

yaa - I know vat you meen... though surely the nirvana of linguistics must be to speak like the swedish chef on the muppet show.

fiona said...

You speak wisely, Hobbes. Bork Bork Bork!