Wednesday, July 04, 2007

What have the Romans ever done for us?

I know America is not very fashionable right now, but being the day that's in it and all, I just thought I'd say hurray for all the delightfuls it's given me over the years, among them the wonderful words of e.e. cummings, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Walt Whitman, Dorothy Parker, Philip Roth, Jonathan Safran Foer ... (my list trails off into a roll call of looming great literaries and a reverie on the lovely moments spent with well-spun words missing arguably unnecessary vowels); the music of the Beach Boys, Janis Joplin, Sufjan Stevens, Johnny Cash, Will Oldham (I can't keep these lists up or they'll gobble the screen); movies like (almost all the best ones I've ever lived in); that growing-up J1 summer on Cape Cod; chocolate chip cookie dough ice-cream; one big love and several big life friends; last month's Portland sunshine; this computer I'm typing on that brings me to you; heroes, heroines and in the dark ages of Ireland when things were low, hope. Oh, and this picture. Happy Fourth of July.

11 comments:

Miss Tickle said...

I am jealous. I like the red car and the long road. And I have never been to Merca. But I will. Oh yes... xxx

wintersolstice said...

Could I add to your list Lillian Hellman, playwright and biographer, with the courage to stand up to McCarthy; Frank Zappa, musician, composer and satirist; and a wonderful friend I met at University but sadly lost touch with.

Queenshiv said...

I'd like to include Miles Davis, hell ALL those beautiful Jazzzzzzz cats and their mellowsweetandlovely legacy... Route 66, Cesar salad, Bluegrass, navel oranges, Ginsberg, Kerouac (via Canadia), NEAL CASSADY, Corso, Ferlinghetti and all those madcrazyromancandle Beats... and the New York School... Kenneth Koch, Frank O'Hara... such beauty-ness... Highway 1 and Big Sur, the sky over New Mexico at dawn all perfumed with sage grass and the wisdom of the ages... Marcy Playground's Sex & Candy, Brian Wilson's Smile, southern fried chicken and that great pantheon of fallen heros, the mighty Confederacy of Dunces!! And the king of America, our Vincenzo (http://vincentdow.blogspot.com/)

Queenshiv said...

And sweet sweet blueskies how could I forget the greatest of all - the Summer of Love.

fiona said...

Miss Tickle: You will have a lovely time in Merca when you go. People wish you a nice day and their ice-cream tubs are HEWAGE!

Wintersolstice: Nice to see you here and please do add such lovely things to the list. It's so hard to get everything in, you know.


Queenshiv: Yay! Great suggestions one and all and how could I leave out Vincenzo?

Herr Bandy [baendii] said...

USA USA USA!

You forgot to mention the internet, founded by Al Gore. Jaja.

Angela-la-la said...

You had me at ice cream... *drool*

fiona said...

Bandy! You're right. T'internet. And t'bourbon. And half of t'Bandy, right?

Angela-la-la hello! Hey, if I had you at icecream, wait till I tell you about Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, and Root Beer floats.

Unknown said...

oooh just look at that empty road (unless, of course, you're at the back of a long caravan procession). it looks lovely though.

Unknown said...

Oi!

Email PAUL TANNER NOW!

paul.tanner@90ten.co.uk

signed.
Andy White
2nd in google. ha!

Mike Sox said...

Don't forget the Boston Red Sox!!!
Pizza, automobiles, Bill Clinton's cigar and Iced Coffee!